There’s a strong chance that Perussuomalaiset (PS)* MP Teuvo Hakkarainen may face prosecution for ethnic agitation, according to YLE. The matter will be decided by the general prosecutor’s office after a police investigation.
Hakkarainen wrote on his Facebook wall in mid-July after the Nice killings: “We’ve got to stop pussyfooting. Muslims out of this country! Not all Muslims are terrorists but all terrorists are Muslims. We shouldn’t accept Muslims from the Middle East and Africa to our country.”
Pretty hostile language against Muslims coming from an MP that belongs to a party that sits in government with the Center Party and National Coalition Party.
Hakkarainen, who has made a dubious name for himself for his racist outbursts like deporting all homosexuals, lesbians, and Somalis, to the Åland Islands, will be the third PS MP to be sentenced if charges are brought against him for ethnic agitation.
Read the full story here.
Two other PS MPs that were sentenced for ethnic agitation were MEP Jussi Halla-aho and former James Hirvisaari.
July was an especially active month for racist comments by parties like the PS. Below are just a few:
- The Finnish Perussuomalaiset and their poker-face-racist remarks (July 27)
- PS MP Kike Elomaa’s response to the party’s racist statements is disingenuous and insulting to Finland (July 26)
- A belated response to racist comments by a member of the PS is half a response (July 25)
- White Finnish privilege #30: Whitewashing and racializing the news (July 23)
- Terrorism och våld (July 22)
- Five years after 22/7 and the Nordic region continues to bleed hatred (July 22)
- Reija Härkönen: Kuulutko vaikenevaan enemmistöön? (July 21)
- Housing discrimination occurs in Finland and is underreported (July 18)
- The Perussuomalaiset is an extremist party that is unfit to rule Finland (July 17)
- Turning Finland into a post-Brexit United Kingdom mess where xenophobia, privilege and disunity are the rules (July 15)
- Ana María Gutiérrez Soranen: La vida en Europa es, a veces, como un sacrificio (July 14)
- Are bigotry and racism something “funny” and “eccentric” PS chairman Timo Soini? (July 14)
- Perussuomalaiset MP Leena Meri hiding coded bigotted statements as jokes (July 12)
- When will the Finnish police service stop denying that ethnic profiling isn’t an issue? (July 11)
* The Finnish name for the Finns Party is the Perussuomalaiset (PS). The English names of the party adopted by the PS, like True Finns or Finns Party, promote in our opinion nativist nationalism and xenophobia. We, therefore, prefer to use the Finnish name of the party on our postings. The direct translation of “Perussuomalaiset” is “basic” or “fundamental Finn.”