Here is the plot of a new TV series Suomineidot (Finnish Maidens):
- Meri is a far-right ethnonationalist who hangs out with neo-Nazis.
- Jasmin is an avid follower of Pentti Linkola, who promoted population decline.
- Liisa is a member of the Islamophobic Perussuomalaiset (PS)* party.
Apart from the radical political views of the three participants, YLE launched the television series during the UN week of the elimination of racial discrimination (March 21-27).
Great timing, Yle, I know it was intentional.
It’s not the first time that the state-owned national broadcaster, Yle, has fallen flat on its face due to its shoddy programs.
Below, are two recent examples of programs on racism and the far right that backfired:
- Marja Sannikka’s talk show on racism is the worst I have ever watched (21.11.2021)
- YLE: Venla ja Miska ovat nuoria äärioikeistolaisia ja rakastavaisia – he haluavat puhua avoimesti rodusta: “Olemme ydintä myöten suomalaisia” (19.102019)
So what gives?
If a program promotes or tries to understand what racist and far-right people think, there should be an opposite opinion.
The TV series is another example of shoddy journalism driven by white Finnish privilege that don’t have a faint idea about racism and its harm.