If we look at the many stories of job discrimination that we have published in Migrant Tales, one factor links them: despair and the police, which too often look the other way.
Considering the underwhelming effort the police have made in challenging human trafficking, labor discrimination, hate speech, and other social ills, why would a victim trust the police?
Migrant Tales has written scores of stories about an ongoing problem: slow due justice.
While the Corona pandemic may have slowed down the latter case, there is an underlying message in most of these cases by the authorities: You are not important because you are a second-class member of society also openly promoted by Islamophobic parties like the Perussuomalaiset.*
Just like Migrant Tales on the abuses committed by asylum reception centers from 2015, the rising number of migrants entering the job market will reveal widespread abuses and shortcomings.
I am ready to report on these cases and expose these cases.
- The more proof that labor discrimination is king in Finland, the less is done to tackle the problem (21.11.2021)
- Hesburger employee debacle: Wake up Finland! (29.8.2021)
- QUOTE OF THE DAY: Migrants face abuse on both sides of the labor market (4.10.2018)
- How to fool customers by changing the expired sell-by dates of your products (3.6.2018)
- A food distributor that hires asylum seekers, pays them under the table, to change the sell-by dates of their old products (24.3.2018)
- An Iraqi asylum seeker in Finland tells us how he was “exploited” for a month by a Porvoo-based company called A-T Puhdistus (23.4.2017)
- Dear Migrant Tales…when the workplace becomes a hostile place (19.5.2013)
- Dominic-Savior Chukwu: How to avoid migrant exploitation in the Finnish labor market (19.5.2013)
- Labor immigrants in Finland: Who exploits whom? (12.2.2012)
- Are you a target of racism in Finland? (7.6.2007)
The conviction of a businessman to a year and ten months jail sentence is not only an example but a warning that labor exploitation and human trafficking are serious problems.