In many respects white privilege, or specifically white Finnish privilege, is a good way to understand some of the challenges that migrants and especially non-white Finns face in this country. Migrant Tales invites readers to contribute their thoughts on the social ill.
Please get in touch with us and write to [email protected] We’d love to hear from you. Your account can be published with your name or anonymously.
It’s your call.
Read Anonymous’ two poems here.
Anonymous has shared many of her poetry with us on Migrant Tales. Speaking to her for months on the phone, one senses that the only shield she has is her poetry. She wanted to succeed so hard in Finland and ended up in an asylum. Her only shield is her poetry.
Anonymous said that one problem about being a migrant in Finland is that you are usually underrated and considered less intelligent than Finns. You’ll be asking for trouble if you question a Finnish teacher’s knowledge and authority.
Despite everything that has happened, Anonymous still wants to succeed at school and make it in Finland. Studying, getting a profession and finding work is an uphill battle for many migrants but it is a task that must be taken unless you want to live on the periphery of society, according to her.
- Defining white Finnish privilege #1: I have it and you don’t
- Defining white Finnish privilege #2: Third culture children versus “pupil with immigrant background”
- Defining white Finnish privilege #3 No history, no doctrine, no heroes and no martyrs
- Defining white Finnish privilege #4 Holding the short end of the stick
- Defining white Finnish privilege #5 It’s ok to be a racist
- Defining white Finnish privilege #6 Not having a voice and the media
- Defining white Finnish privilege #7 A definitive guide