Accountability does not permit you to get away with murder.
This press kit aims to assist journalists and other interested persons in being informed about the Perussuomalaiset (PS)* party and its leader, Jussi Halla-aho.
Finland needs more than ever a media that is critical and independent. In order to defend our Nordic values, we mustn’t fall asleep when a party like the PS is subverting our way of life and aiming to shelve our basic freedoms.
We do not want Finland to turn into an “iliberal” country like Viktor Orbán’s Hungary.
This page will be updated weekly with fresh quotes from the PS, other parties, and people.
Even if Finland has good journalists and is second on the Press Freedom Index, too many times the media is struck by amnesia when interviewing PS politicians.
Halla-aho made a name for himself with the help of raw racism, attacking minorities like Somalis, women, and gays. In 2012, he was convicted for ethnic agitation and breaching the sanctity of religion.
Here are some of his racist and hostile quotes about migrants, especially Muslims:
- “All Muslims are not terrorists, but in a European perspective, this is irrelevant. What is relevant is that all terrorists are Muslim.” (2006)
- “Amount of rapes are increasing. Because therefore more and more women will be raped, my earnest wish is that the right women will be raped by predators choosing their victims randomly. Green-left-winger reformers and their voters. Rather them than others. Nothing else will work for them, but multiculture that hits their own ankle.” (2006)
- “An Afro who gets dragged into Helsinki from an African savannah pollutes no less with his conspicuous consumption than an ethnic Finn. He will probably pollute more because moving from the stone age directly into the modern world deprives him of ecological conscience typical of a western human being.” (2007)
- “What is needed in Greece right now is a military junta, which would not need public approval and could use tanks against strikers and demonstrators.” (2011)
Read Halla-aho’s infamous quotes in Finnish here.
If I had a chance to interview Halla-aho or other PS MPs and politicians, I’d ask them the following questions:
- The PS wants to bar Muslims and people of color from coming to Finland. Does this mean that you will ditch international agreements like the Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees, the European Convention on Human Rights and the UN Declaration of Human Rights?
- Does the PS believe that these radical changes, which would imply Finland leaving the EU, are possible?
- The PS wants to scrap hate speech laws. How will you assure that migrants and minorities won’t become victims of racist harassment and hate crime?
- Could the PS define what is racism and social equality?
- What does social equality mean? Is it only a white Finnish right?
- Your party clearly states that it does not want Finland to be culturally and ethnically diverse. (Duh. It already is!) If this is the case, and it is, what are you going to do about all those who are not white like you and live in Finland?
- Is the PS going to put them in camps, islands and/or send them back to where they, their parents or grandparents came from?
- When the PS speaks of making radical changes in immigration law, does it mean that migrants and minorities will become officially treated as second- and third-class citizens before the law?
- Tell us specifically what would Finland look like Halla-aho if you had your way in changing immigration law and the constitution? What would you do to people who oppose such changes?