Finland has been praised for its school program to teach children about fake news. Media literacy is important if we do not want to be led by the noses towards an autocratic state.
Commonly, when reading the comments by Perussuomalaiset (PS)* MPs and other politicians, fact-checking is an exception and not the rule.
Some of the most significant sources of fake news that the PS spread is about migrants and asylum seekers, which is code for Muslims. The cost of migration, living off social welfare, crime, not interested in integration, and so forth.
The basis of the above claims is fake news, and the media should do much more to check their integrity.
Top Five Fake Migration News in Finland
- These are not real asylum seekers. They come fo Finland and Europe for economic reasons; they want to take advantage of our social welfare system;
- Migration costs Finland billions of wasted euros that we’ll never get back;
- Migrants don’t want to integrate. They want to live in “ghettos;”
- Migrants mainly cause sexual assault crime to spike;
- Migrants, especially Muslims, want to take over Europe and force us to live under Sharia law.
All of the above are examples of fake news promoted by the PS and other xenophobic groups. Treat them with tweezers and throw them in the trash.